Are you eagerly awaiting your baby’s first steps and creating a lifetime memory? Walking also indicates that your sweetie pie has accomplished a crucial developmental milestone. You may be eagerly waiting to watch those tiny feet running around the house, but believe us, it needs a lot of practice and patience.
All you can do is render support by introducing a baby walker at the right age. Now, you may start wondering about the advice you have received from people around you, where some talk about the benefits of baby walkers, while others state it to be unsafe.
Well, the baby walker is not good or bad; its impact on your baby hugely depends on when you introduce this ride-on. Yes, you read it right, so let us discuss some crucial points associated with safety tips for baby walker usage in India so that parents get all the answers to their concerns.
Understanding Baby Walker Age Restrictions
It is obvious for parents to be very excited, but it is also crucial to understand that there is a valid reason for baby walker age restrictions in India. Babies are delicate, and putting undue pressure on their bodies only to satisfy your sense of achievement is a bad decision. If you introduce a baby walker early, it may harm the child’s legs since they are not ready to bear the weight and balance their body.
The recommended age for walkers ranges from 6 months to 16 months. Yes, this is a vast range, and thus, it becomes necessary for parents to know the right time. Babies usually tend to start balancing their heads by six months, but this does not mean they are ready to walk. Below are the guidelines for using baby walkers in India that we recommend you follow:
Indian Baby Walker Age Criteria and Limits
Average Age Range
6 to 15 Months
15 to 24 Months
Early Walking Phase
Above 24 Months
Independent Walking Phase
- 6-15 months babies: This is the pre-walking stage where your baby starts crawling and understands coordinating hand and leg movement. You encourage your baby and let him master the skill before introducing a walker. Your baby’s leg muscles should be strong to support the baby’s weight, so make sure you provide the best nutrition to him.
- 15-24 months: The early walking stage is the time when your little one starts standing up with support and tries to move from one place to another. If you are wondering when to use baby walkers, this is the time. Go ahead and buy a quality walker that comes with a sturdy frame and wheels for smooth movement and the least pressure on the munchkin’s legs.
- Above 24 months: Most children are a pro at walking by the time they turn 2. They will start walking independently, and if you make a smooth transition from walker to independent walking, the child will be confident and happy.
Why is it important to follow age restrictions?
Parents who do not abide by guidelines for using baby walkers in India tend to put their children at risk. A child cannot communicate with you if he is uncomfortable using the walker. Therefore, as a dotting mommy, you need to be alert and aware of the risks associated with baby walkers.
If your child’s neck is not stable, using a walker may cause harm to his muscles. Also, early introduction may lead to issues in leg muscles and bones. Thus, read all about whether baby walkers are safe for your little explorer and make a wise decision.
Indian Baby Walker Regulations
Every reputed and trusted Indian brand that manufactures baby walkers needs to follow Indian baby walker regulations so that the products are safe for babies.
According to the standards, a walker should be made of the best quality, non-toxic metal frame, along with a soft, appropriately designed cushion. Features like safety harnesses and anti-skid wheels render top-class safety that every parent desires for a peaceful experience.
5 Signs Your Tiny Tot Is Ready for a Walker
The best approach that parents should adopt in this context is to look for signs that their baby is prepared for a walker. It is the right time to introduce a walker if your baby:
- He pulls up to stand.
- Has begun cruising.
- He is interested in exploring the surroundings rather than sitting in one place.
- He stands unassisted for some time.
- He walks if you provide stable support.
How to Choose the Right Baby Walker
Now that we have discussed the baby walker age limit and signs of readiness, you should know the aspects of choosing the right baby walker.
- Safety locks: A premium baby walker product has safety locks around the wheels, which allows parents to secure it in one place if they are busy with work and want to stop the little one from roaming around.
- Adjustable height: Babies grow fast, and thus, the walker with height adjustment feature allows you to increase height for a comfortable position.
- Comfortable seat: Your child will spend a few hours in the walker, and therefore, the cushion should be soft and render proper support to the body.
- Safety certifications: We recommend parents buy certified baby walkers so that the baby always gets the best walking assistance with best-in-class safety.
Also Read: How to Choose the Right Baby Walker?
Are Baby Walkers Safe?
There are several baby walker brands claiming to offer the best products and safety features. But you should consider only the top, cost-effective, and reputed brands for the best selection. You can consider a brand like R for Rabbit, which offers the most secure, safe, and best baby walkers for different needs in India.
R for Rabbit offers various superior-quality baby walker models with different weight capacities and age recommendations. You can read through the product specifications and choose one that meets your child’s needs at a reasonable price.
Alternatives to Baby Walkers
Indeed, baby walkers are best to let your child learn to walk, but some parents may still want to try other alternatives to baby walkers. There are play gyms and activity centres that engage the little minds and simultaneously encourage them to physical movement and strengthen muscles.
You may also adopt no-walker methods for aiding baby development via stationary walkers and push toys. These build muscle strength with activities and music, aiding in walking later on. Babies also benefit from tummy time, so use some activities that make your baby lie down on their stomachs for some time.
So, we explored all the signs that your baby is prepared for a walker. Leveraging a baby walker is a great choice if your munchkin is physically and mentally prepared for the adventure. Do thorough research on walker age restrictions to develop a clear understanding and make decisions accordingly.
Make sure to follow the safety guidelines and invest in a good quality product, as it will play a critical role in achieving the developmental milestone: walking. R for Rabbit offers high-quality and cost-effective baby walkers that come with innovative features like adjustability, meal trays, activity toys, and top-class safety.